- Stormwater Services
- Stormwater Utility Fee
Stormwater Utility Fee
What a Stormwater Utility Fee is Used for
A Stormwater Utility Fee is used for:
- Ensuring Town compliance with federal and state water quality requirements
- Infrastructure improvement and maintenance programs
- Inspections of detention ponds
- Investigating spills or reports of illegal dumping
How the Stormwater Utility Fee is Calculated
The stormwater utility fee is based on the amount of impervious area on a non-residential property.
Impervious area is any surface that prevents water from soaking into the ground (i.e.- buildings, driveways, parking lots). Previous surfaces are surfaces that allow water to soak into the ground (lawns, gardens).
How Residential Rates Are Determined
The stormwater utility fee is determined by the footprint of your house.
- Tier 1: less than 2,060 square feet $4.43 per month
- Tier 2: greater than 2,060 square feet $5.30 per month
Impervious area was measured from a sample of single family residential parcels within the town and an average was calculated. This average is referred to as the Equivalent Residential Unit (ERU). All non-residential properties will be assigned a fee based on the amount of ERU for impervious area. The ERU will be rounded to the nearest tenth in the stormwater fee calculation.
- One (1) ERU = 2,060 sq. ft. of impervious area
- Rate = $3.38 per ERU per month
Example of a Non-Residential Stormwater Fee
Impervious: 31,746 square feet
Yearly Fee: $624.63
Reduce or Dispute a Stormwater Utility Fee
For more information on reducing or disputing a stormwater utility fee, please call the Town of Indian Trail Engineering Department at 704-821-5401.